Seedlings Preschool aims to:
- provide high quality care and education for children
- work in partnership with parents to help children to learn and develop
- add to the life and well-being of its local community
- offer children and their parents a service which promotes equality and values diversity.
As a member of Seedlings Preschool your child:
- is in a safe and stimulating environment
- is given generous care and attention, because of our high ratio of adults to children and highly qualified staff.
- has the chance to join with other children and adults to play, work and learn together
- is helped to take forward her/his learning and development by being helped to build on what she/he already knows and can do
- is in a setting which sees you as a partner in helping your child to learn and develop
- is in a setting in which parents help to shape the service it offers. Seedlings delivers the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) promoting all areas of your child’s development through play and planned opportunities
We welcome you to the Seedlings Preschool website; we hope that you will find the information of use to you, and invite you to arrange a visit to our setting, to experience it first-hand.
The preschool was set up, in 2004, within the school building of Dunstone Primary School. We haven’t moved far, still being on the school campus.
We are now at the top of the playground in self-contained premises. We share facilities, and staff, with the school's ”Before and After School Club”, with children from the age of 2 years being able to access care between the hours of 07.50 and 17.30, during school term time.
Seedlings has bright, user friendly rooms with a “free flow” onto the covered decking area; also a patio area and a grass area. Please enjoy the gallery pictures showing a sample of the outdoor play.
In addition, we are extremely fortunate to benefit from an area of forest, and with a trained member of staff, Forest school is offered most days. Suitable clothing is provided to enable the activity to operate regardless of the weather. If you are not familiar with Forest school, please take a look at this website http://www.forestschoolassociation.org/what-is-forest-school/
There are strong links with the Plymstock Children’s Centre, also on site. There is particular collaborative work with leaders of the Little Seedlings toddler group (held in the Plymstock children's centre on a Thursday morning 10.00a.m – 11.30a.m). A member of Seedlings staff attends, as support leader, each week.
“Play is a child’s work” and on this basis Seedlings provides an environment where children can play whilst feeling safe and nurtured.
How often do you ask your child "what do you like to do at preschool", and get little response? The Home Link is exactly as named; a link between home and the setting.
It is used for recording, and sharing , of information, about your child. It can be pictures, quick notes, certificates or Momento's. It is to be used as often, or as little as you would like.
We can advise you of achievements, new friends, favourite activities etc. We hope to improve communication in our parent / carer / child / staff partnership